Lüsche, Germany, February 24 – 26, 2017
Sorry, but the course is full. Please write me, if you would be interested to take part in a course like this in 2018. We may organize it. Arno
in cooperation with Tierklinik Lüsche
This course provides advanced practitioners with state-of-the-art lectures on equine Embryo Transfer (ET), Ovum Pick-Up (OPU) and Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI). Do not miss out on the unique opportunity to improve your own hands-on clinical skills in practical procedures.
Friday, February 24, Tierklinik Lüsche, Lüsche: 10:00 to 18:30 hours lectures with Anthony Claes, Peter Daels and Carolina Herrera (Accredited by Akademie für tierärztliche Fortbildung with 6 hours of CPD)
- Introduction to equine embryo transfer: place of ET in your practice, goals and results, investments)
- Embryo collection: the different techniques of embryo collection, when to collect after ovulation how and material needed; success rates; influence of fresh/frozen semen on the timing and size of the embryo; influence of age of mare
- Embryo manipulation: Searching the embryo, evaluating, manipulating, washing, preparing the embryo for immediate transfer; instrumentation and material needed for embryo manipulation and conservation
- Embryo transfer: Techniques and instrumentation
- The recipient mare: Purchasing good recipient mares; criteria for choosing the right mare for transfer (synchrony/stage of cycle; evaluation by rectal palpation and ultrasonography); treatment of recipient mare after transfer; general management of recipient mares, synchronization protocols
- Storing and shipping embryos: Cooled storage devices; embryo holding medium; temperature and storage duration; results; import/export regulations
Saturday, February 25, Tierklinik Lüsche, Lüsche: 9:00 to 15:00 demonstrations and wetlabs with Anthony Claes, Peter Daels and Carolina Herrera (Accredited by Akademie für tierärztliche Fortbildung with 7 hours of CPD)
- 9:00 – Wetlab A: Embryo flushing / Wetlab B: Embryo transfer / Wetlab C: Embryo searching, handling, washing and preparing/loading for transfer
- 15:30 to 18:30 – hours lectures
- Ovum Pick-up: Why choose to do OPU/ICSI; what donor mares are good candidates for OPU/ICSI; the OPU technique; the required equipment; investments; pre-ovulatory follicle vs all follicles; oocyte recovery rates; collecting ovaries/oocytes post-mortem; shipping ovaries; costs associated with the procedure, comparison with conventional ET
- earching for oocytes; shipping oocytes to an ICSI centre; finding the oocytes; manipulating the oocytes; required equipment.
- ICSI: The technique in a nutshell; hurdles; expectations; requirement; factors influencing the success rate (donor mare, stallion fertility); who offers commercial ICSI.
- Sexing Embryos: The technique of taking biopsy; analysis for sexing embryos.
- Freezing embryos: Why is it so difficult; which embryos are best for freezing; equine embryo freezing kits; is embryo collapse a good technique?
Sunday, February 26 Tierklinik Lüsche, Lüsche: 8:30 to 12:00 demonstrations with Anthony Claes, Peter Daels and Carolina Herrera (Accredited by Akademie für tierärztliche Fortbildung with 6 hours of CE)
- OPU, ICSI, Embryo biopsy, Embryo Freezing
- 12:00 – Lunch
- 13:00 to 16:30 – Lectures and discussions
- Optimizing ET Results: Factors affecting embryo recovery; repeated flushes/year; exercise of the donor; what to expect in normal mares with normal semen; influence of age of donor mare; etc..
- Is there a place for OPU in your practice? When to send a mare to an OPU/ICSI facility? What are reasonable expectations?
- Freezing embryos: should I integrate this in my practice?