Chía, Colombia, November 13 to 15, 2020
in cooperation with Clinica Equina Chia
with the support of
Participants will see experts in the diagnosis and treatment of orthopedic diseases working up routine clinical lameness. The instructors will discuss their approaches, diagnosis and treatment options as they work up the cases. In addition, a third day will provide participants the opportunity to improve their own skills under the supervision of the experts! Continuous Professional Certification by the Academy of Veterinary Continuous Education – ATF – in Germany is being requested.
All Presentations are in English
Friday, November 13, 2020, practical work (Clinica Equina Chia)
- 9:00 till 18:00 hours: Clinical lameness examination, radiographic and ultrasonographic evaluation of lameness in horses. Instructors: Sue Dyson, José M. Garcia-López and Ellen Singer
We will work on real lameness cases. The day will be divided into three sessions of 120 minutes each. In each of the sessions a new case is presented, but the group of participants changes (so the participants get an opportunity to experience each of the instructors working); Horses will undergo routine clinical exam (including diagnostic anesthesia as necessary), radiography and ultrasound.
Saturday, November 14, 2020, case presentations (Clinica Equina Chia)
- 9:00 to 18:00 hours: Each case worked from the day before will be presented. This will include images and history. Participants can comment on the diagnostic and treatment options will be discussed.
- 18:00 hours: Fiesta and tejo-competition!
Sunday, November 15, 2020, wet labs (Clinica Equina Chia)
- 9:00 hours: Further examination of selected cases seen on day 1 to refine diagnosis and implement treatment.
- 12:30 hours: Lunch
- 13:30 hours: Participants will work with the instructors to improve up to 2 of the skills in wet labs listed below (90 minutes / wet lab). Please select up to 3 of these wet labs: 1) Radiography shooting and reading; 2) Ultrasound imaging and reading; 3) Tendon and joint approaches for diagnostic anesthesia’s and treatments (cadaver limbs); 4); Flexion tests and evaluation of effect; 5) Else, please specify. The wet labs that will be run are chosen latest when early registration ends. Then participants will be asked about their more specific anatomical regions or physiotherapeutic methods of interest to individualize instruction.
- 18:00 hours: End
graduated from Cambridge University, United Kingdom. She was Head of Clinical Orthopedics at the Animal Health Trust in Newmarket, England for many years until 2018 and is now an independent consultant for in-depth orthopedic evaluations and pre-purchase examinations of horses. She is a Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Specialist in Equine Orthopedics, a European Specialist in Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation and Associate of the European College of Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging. Sue has also ridden at top British level in Eventing and Show Jumping and has trained horses that have competed at the Olympics and World Championships.
José M. García-López
obtained his VMD from the University of Pennsylvania in 1996 and went on to complete a 1-year Equine Internship at Mid-Atlantic Equine Medical Center (Ringoes, New Jersey, USA) followed by a 3-year Large Animal Surgical Residency with special focus on Equine Sports Medicine at Tufts University in North Grafton, Massachusetts. He became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons in 2001. Following his residency José obtained a Lecturer position in the Section of Equine Sports Medicine and Imaging at the University of Pennsylvania’s New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania where he remained for 2 years. In 2002, he returned to Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine as an Assistant Professor in Large Animal Surgery and in 2010, he was promoted to Associate Professor. While at Tufts, he has continued to concentrate his work in the diagnosis and management of musculoskeletal disorders as well as the use of advanced imaging in the equine athlete. In 2010, he also became a faculty member of AOVET North America, of which he is currently the Chair of Education. He became board certified by the American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation in 2013. Dr. García-López specializes in equine orthopedic surgery including arthroscopy and fracture repair, upper respiratory surgery, lameness diagnosis and treatment, and advanced imaging.
graduated from Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, Boston, USA, after which she spent three years in general equine practice in the Northwest USA. Following a surgical residency and Doctor of Veterinary Science Degree at the Ontario Veterinary College, Canada, Ellen spent time working at the Veterinary School in Israel. Ellen joined the faculty at the University of Liverpool where she worked from 1995 until 2018, specializing in equine orthopedics and surgery. Ellen is now developing an orthopedic and surgical consulting business, working for different equine clinics in the United Kingdom. Ellen has Diplomate status in both the European and the American College of Veterinary Surgeons. Ellen’s main passion is surgery and the equine athlete. Surgical interests are primarily orthopedic but she also loves colic surgery. Ellen’s research interests are divided into clinical projects that address common problems in her orthopedic patients (tendon injury, infected joints, surgical anatomy and lameness), as well as more basic science projects that focus on the biomechanics of horse limbs and the response of bone to exercise. Ellen loves nothing more than figuring out why horses are lame and providing a practical and hopefully, successful solution for the horse’s owners.
Dates & Locations
All days in Clinica Equina Chia: Finca La Esquina, Vereda Fagua, Chía, Cundinamarca, Colombía
- Nearest airports: Bogotá BOG; http://bogota-airport.com/
- On Bogotá: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g294074-Bogota-Vacations.html
- Bio of speakers in https://www.agpferd.com/lameness-diagnosis-treatment-and-management-curso-internacional-de-caballos-de-deporte/
- More equine professionals’ education: Please check under events in agpferd.com